Followers

Monday, January 24, 2011

Yogi by Bike


My latest pastime is riding the 12 miles to Market Commons as early as possible to do a yoga class: usually the 9:30 class to beat the traffic on Kings Business. Yoga is the productive part and then I usually splurge on a grande soy vanilla latte at one of the two Starbucks on the same block. The Yoga studio is "Yoga in Common." The instructors are all great (all women,) full of new advisement in each class. I am settling into their vinyasa, himilayan, and more types of yoga. One of my favorite things to do on prompting from one the yogis is to shape my intention for the practice. I have decided on topics such as reconciling my incredibly overstimulating jobs of the past (bike messenger and bill poster.) Both these jobs are exhilerating and fulfilling. Today I decided to have no intention other than focusing on the yoga itself. I'm not sure I'm interpreting "intention" how they mean it. I think it's great the way I do it. It makes it a life therapy which complements my regular therapy sessions. It transforms the thoughts (feelings with the body) from my life into emotions (thoughts and feelings felt within the body.)

I think that the two sports, yoga, and biking go well together. One compliments the other. One is in a controlled setting where everything is peaceful and the other exposes your body and safety to the elements and the mercy of passing drivers. You have to maintain that peace in yourself that you've built up. Ultimately, you have peaceful endurance. Ideally, I'd swim to yoga class. I could swim all along the coastline for 12 miles to Market Commons. I'd rather take the pedicab if Myrtle Beach gets its act together and advocates for the legal part of it.

After my incredibly successful ride with the Myrtle Beach cycling group, I haven't met up with anyone since. It's been bitterly cold (for Myrtle Beach) so I haven't run into any cyclists. I did 15 miles on Sunday in 19 degree weather. It's all about how you dress. Those balaclavas are key!!

No comments:

Post a Comment