Followers

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Memory Lanes

I haven't' been riding because of my unofficial short break (two weeks.) so I thought I'd post some description of past riding. Call this "memory blogging," with my most recent memory first.

My most recent significant ride was my, "Housing Task Force" Ride from the suburb of Chicago, "Arlington Heights," where the housing was proposed to Washington D.C. where we advocated for housing such as the housing we are proposing locally.

The housing we are proposing is to give people with mental illness who are living in damaging situations more independence and resources to live fuller lives. The housing has been proven to lead to more independence and more recovery. This is explained here at the Housing Task Force's Web site.
May are either homeless, or in damaging housing situations. Many people with mental illness live with their parents who might not be able to help their child anymore or in the near future. Another near epidemic is the housing of people with mental illness in nursing homes. Their is nowhere near enough housing such as what we are proposing. This will go towards creating more of a precedence for this needed treatment.

So, we rode from Arlington Heights starting May 1st until we got to Washington D.C. on May 20th. We did about 50 miles each day, one day at 25 and one day at 75. The weather cooperated and it was very windy the wrong way for the first six or seven days.



I'll be writing more about this later.
Thanks for reading,
Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment